Car accidents often leave a devastating impact on your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. If you were hurt in an automobile collision, it’s important to understand your legal options for recovering damages. Whether through an insurance settlement or taking the negligent party to court, a Missouri car accident attorney can help you navigate the process of pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Different Types of Damages in Your Recovery
After you’re hurt in a car accident, the amount of compensation you pursue depends on the magnitude of your injuries and how they are expected to affect you over the long term. More debilitating injuries obviously mean the victim will deserve higher compensation.
Possible Compensable Damages From a Negligent Driver
- Costs of car accident medical bills, such as an ambulance ride to the ER, in-patient hospital stay services, medications, and required surgeries
- Expected future medical needs if you are likely to require additional surgeries or treatments for a long-term condition
- Hourly, salaried, or self-employment wages lost during your recovery
- Lost future earning potential, which may be substantial if you aren’t able to go back to your original job or are no longer able to earn a living
- Non-economic damages that don’t have a direct price tag, such as emotional suffering, lost consortium with a spouse, physical pain, and reduced quality of life
- Property damage, which can be extensive if your vehicle was totaled in the accident
- Rehabilitation therapies, such as occupational therapy and physical therapy in cases of traumatic brain injuries or serious physical disability
- Various out-of-pocket expenses when pursuing treatment for your MO car crash injuries
- Wrongful death, which may cover funeral costs and other damages if a loved one died in the MO car accident
Because there are many legal challenges when filing a personal injury claim for a car accident, it’s important to have an experienced Missouri car accident attorney’s help. Without it, you may not get the compensation you deserve.
A Lawyer’s Role in Getting Compensation After a Car Accident
Having an experienced car wreck attorney is a crucial part of recovering financially after sustaining an injury in a car crash. It’s never wise to pursue compensation on your own, as an attorney knows the underhanded tricks by insurance companies, the filing deadlines for your claim, and other critical legal actions needed.
How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help Get You a Fair Settlement
- Conduct a rigorous and thorough investigation into the crash. This step is crucial for gathering all the evidence necessary to negotiate with insurance or present your case to a jury.
- Handle all legal issues and meet the Missouri statute of limitations for personal injury car accident lawsuits.
- Identify which specific party is liable for your car accident injuries. You need to know if the other driver was negligent or if there’s a third party who might be responsible and can be a source for your financial recovery.
- Place a value on your car accident injuries. Your attorney can make sure either the insurer or the jury is fully aware of the devastating financial impact the car accident had on your life.
- Preserve essential evidence needed to argue your case.
Having an experienced attorney who understands how to avoid problems is pivotal to your financial recovery. A skilled lawyer can help by protecting you from unscrupulous insurance tactics, take over negotiations with the adjuster, and represent you in court if necessary.
Beck & Beck When You’re Injured in a Car Accident
After being injured in a car or motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you need a skilled, dedicated personal injury attorney to help ensure you receive all the compensation you deserve. The lawyers at Beck & Beck are here to help you navigate the complicated legal system and get your life back on track.
Beck & Beck is the only Missouri law firm that focuses entirely on Missouri auto accident cases. We have extensive knowledge of personal injury law, and clients can feel assured that they’ll receive excellent legal representation. If you’ve been injured in a Missouri car accident, contact us online, or call our office directly at 314-200-1229.